Friday, November 23, 2012

The beginning... hopefully

This blog is called "Amateur PR girl" for a reason. Let's see... I might have a degree in Public Relations but I have never had a true PR internship or a job. I only graduated a few months ago and since I have minimal experience, I need to get experience.

But, I'm not getting experience from anyone right now. So, I'm gaining experience by doing my own PR. So, what better way to start than by writing a blog that not only chronicles my journey into starting a career right after college, but gives me experience in the field of Public Relations?

So, here's a little bit about myself. My name is Tabitha and I am a 22-year old college grad living in Orlando, FL. I work for the Mouse (you know which one) as I complete the College Program. I've extended my program but I'm still waiting to hear from a Professional Internship (cross your fingers, knock on wood and/or make a wish for me). I graduated from a school that is the king of how NOT to do public relations, the Pennsylvania State University. I love my Nittany Lions and I love Penn State so much, but one valuable thing they taught me is how to handle crisis PR, and last year, they didn't do a good job with it.

So, I graduated in May and came straight down here to Florida barely a week after graduating. I honestly thought that if I did a good job here, people would beg me for a job. Oh my, how wrong was I. I've learned something since starting here- it's not necessarily what you know but WHO you know. Yes, what you know is very important, but networking is extremely key in getting a job. I've always known that when it came to my desired profession, but I never practiced it.

Now, my program is about to end and I still have nothing. So, I've decided to stay down here and try to learn from my mistake. I'm planning on learning how to network, step by step. By meeting people, I can learn what to do to get to my dream job. I can gain experience and figure out where to go next. I'm hoping I do get the PI and can start slowly working up (though, I don't believe I did well on my interview, so I'm thinking it will be a no). But, if I do not get the PI, I will do what I'm doing now- network and build up my resume.

This blog is the beginning, hopefully. I want to write about my experiences, whether good or bad, with trying to get to that job. In the meantime, I also want to write my own insights on the world of PR, whether it's lessons I learned or the big news surrounding the world right now from a PR standpoint. If I practice, I can become better.

I don't know what the future holds, but I do know I control it. Let's see where I drive it to.