Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Off to Plan B because...

I didn't get the internship.

Big huge bummer to a wonderful day as well. I was starting to feel good about my chances because I hadn't been flat out denied yet. But, I knew my interview was not up to par. I went on my dashboard about a half hour ago and saw the dreaded "No Longer in Consideration" there. 

So, now it's off to Plan B.

Plan A was to get this internship and work my butt off at it. I knew it was going to be a long shot because I bombed the interview. But, had they shocked me and given me the internship, then I could work and get my name out there to move up.

Unfortunately, that isn't working out. So it's off to Plan B, which is much harder. It isn't a full-proof plan but if I do it right, it could work.

Today, I met with a communications manager for the program I am on. Her name was Christina and she was extremely friendly and helpful with all the questions I had. My main question was this: If I didn't get the internship (which we now know is the case), can I still get a full-time job at the end of this? One of my big fears is that I stay at a salaried job that's not truly affiliated with communications. Yes, it has elements that any communications pro would need but it's not necessarily a comm job that has the training it would need. Plus, after this program is done, I will actually have nothing. So, what do I do then?

Christina was very enthusiastic and said, yes. I remember many people I've met through a marketing class I've taken have started out where I am at now but never did the whole professional internship level. She told me to put myself out there and keep networking because if people know what I want and see that drive in me, they'll remember me and I can get to where I want to get to.

So, my plan is kind of what I stated when I started this blog.

I'm not going to make the same mistake twice. One of my friends told me tonight that I wasn't meant for this internship and something better will come along. I believe in this extension and I know I am meant to work for the Mouse. So, here are my plans:

I am going to go to networking events and meet with people. I am going to keep talking to people. See if any of my managers know people. Keep in contact with the people I met already and keep them updated. I will update my profiles here on this blog and on my new LinkedIn account.

I know I am destined for great things here. But, I'm going to have to work hard at the lowest level to move up to where I want to go. It's not going to be easy but I need to believe in myself. I know I can do this and I know I will work hard.

I'm just going to remember my road to THON. I wanted to dance in THON so bad. So, I contacted someone named Paula who was starting up a THON organization and needed some help. She took me and a kid named Aaron along for the ride. We started a group on scratch and soon became the best of friends. We worked hard and sometimes we felt discouraged but we kept going at it because we believed in THON. Paula and I became dance partners and extremely good friends and being able to dance for all 46 hours was one of my highest achievements.

If I can do that and stand for 46 for cancer, I can do this.