Saturday, December 15, 2012

"We've been through this too many times"- a personal reflection

I've written and rewritten this post a dozen times already. It's difficult to find the words to say after a tragedy like yesterday.

I didn't know any of the children or adults murdered yesterday. I know someone who did, but personally I didn't. And yet, I mourned with the nation yesterday and tears flowed out of my eyes as I watched our President address the nation. Every single person had the same thoughts cross their minds: How could something like this happen?

The President said yesterday, "As a nation, we have been through this too many times." He's right. I remember Columbine, even though I was only 9 years old. I didn't understand and was so confused. And even 5 years ago with Virginia Tech I was confused. Although I understood what had happened more than I did at the age of 9, it still confused me. Now, I'm 22 years old and I still don't understand. Why would someone do this?

Gun control has always been an ongoing battle in this country. The arguments heated up again after the tragedy at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado (a place not too far from Columbine). But, they have intensified to the extreme after 20 children under the age of 10 and 6 educators were killed yesterday. 

Gun control is an issue. More people in the United States have died due to gun violence than people in the entire world outside the US combined. The facts don't lie- there is a problem in this country. The fights will be never-ending and when the government makes a decision on it, there will still be fights. Mental illness will also be addressed more so than ever before. Many of the mass shootings our country has endured have been as a result of mental illness. It's something we cannot ignore. I am not saying that people with mental illness are poised to do bad things like the gunman did yesterday. But, if we ignore the signs and don't help our friends get treatment, they can further hurt themselves. We as a country need to help those with mental illness and learn about the signs to help them heal.


I don't know what the future holds, but all we can do now is come together as a nation and mourn. Mourn those beautiful lives who were lost and the heroes who died yesterday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut  And help our country heal together and move forward. Truth is, the world will never be the same anymore after the events of yesterday.

Rest in peace to those 26 lives taken too soon yesterday. It's so sad when we are so close to a holiday that celebrates life and peace.

There's one Christmas song that has been sung by many. And I'm going to leave you with that song, here sang by Jack Johnson- "Someday at Christmas"